Sebastian Vettel wants to continue his Formula One career after this season. The four-time world champion, who has been waiting for a win since September 2019, has started talks with Aston Martin to that effect.

“I am talking to the team and there is a clear intention to continue,” the 35-year-old said on Thursday ahead of the French Grand Prix at Le Castellet.

“I have said that at a certain point the talks will start,” Vettel added. That has now happened, he added. There is no concrete outcome yet on whether he will continue to drive for Aston Martin or opt for something else. “We will soon see where we stand,” Vettel said ahead of the twelfth round of the season near the Mediterranean coast.

McLaren? “It’s just rumours”

Vettel’s contract with English carmaker Aston Martin expires at the end of the year, and there had already been speculation recently about a possible end to the German’s career. Media reports had also linked Vettel with a move to McLaren. “I know a few people there, but they are just rumours,” said Vettel.

Aston Martin, led by team boss Mick Krack, had already stressed that it would like to continue working with the 53-time Grand Prix winner. The driver from Heppenheim has been driving for the team since last year, but finds himself far from the podium. He originally switched in 2021 after six frustrating years at Ferrari to make a renewed assault on the title. From 2010 to 2013, he had won the world championship title four times in the Red Bull race car.

Commenting on his current situation, Vettel said, “We have an update that is not working properly yet. We hope to get more answers this weekend.” The aim is to become “more competitive in the midfield”, said the 14th in the overall World Championship standings. With just 15 points, he is miles behind leader Max Verstappen (208) in the Red Bull at the halfway point of the season.