The exceeding of the budget cap by the Formula 1 racing team Red Bull is also causing plenty of discussion before the US Grand Prix.

The exceeding of the budget cap by the Formula 1 racing team Red Bull is still a topic of conversation before the US Grand Prix in Austin/Texas. On Thursday, rivals demanded tough sanctions against the team of two-time world champion Max Verstappen.

“We want clarity and fairness. We all know how much one, two, or three million dollars can affect the development and performance of a car,” Ferrari driver Carlos Sainz said: “I hope the penalty if there is one, is relatively clear.”

Finn Valtteri Bottas (Alfa Romeo), still racing for Mercedes last year and thus a direct Red Bull rival, agreed with the Spaniard: “Rules are rules. If you break them, there should be a penalty that hurts. I hope for tough sanctions that really hurt them.”

Red Bull driver Sergio Perez reacted calmly. “We believe everything will be cleared up. At the end of the day, there are always teams that want to take away your performance, especially when you win,” said the Mexican: “That’s part of the sport.”

FIA declares Red Bull guilty

The FIA announced last week that Red Bull was guilty of a “minor” breach of the cost cap and a procedural irregularity in 2021. The FIA has not yet released details of Red Bull’s misconduct or any penalties.

The so-called budget cap was $150 million in 2021. The cut-off point between “minor” and “serious” breaches is five percent above the limit. In 2021, that limit was $7.25 million.

Dutchman Verstappen won his first world championship title last year in a close duel with record world champion Lewis Hamilton (England/Mercedes), with just eight points separating the rivals in the final standings.