After his serious accident at the start of the race in Silverstone, Guanyu Zhou has already left the track hospital. Meanwhile, Williams driver Alexander Albon was initially taken to hospital by helicopter. But here, too, the all-clear has been given in the meantime.

Miraculously, Formula 1 driver Guanyu Zhou survived a horror accident at the Silverstone Grand Prix without serious injuries. The Chinese driver overturned his Alfa Romeo shortly after the start on Sunday after a collision with Mercedes driver George Russell and crashed over the tyre stacks into the catch fence. The race was stopped immediately.

After anxious minutes, Zhou’s team said the 23-year-old was fine. “He is talking and does not appear to have any external injuries,” Alfa team manager Beat Zehnder told TV channel Sky.

Zhou was taken to the track hospital on a stretcher. World governing body Fia quickly announced after an examination that Zhou was “fit” and could already be discharged from the facility.

“Fantastic response”: Zhou speaks out

Meanwhile, there is also an all-clear from the professional driver himself. “It was a serious accident and I’m glad I’m okay,” said the Chinese. He wants to get “back on the track” as soon as possible and “do what I love: I’m fit and looking forward to Austria next week”. “The marshals and the medical team at the track have been fantastically quick to respond. I also have to thank the FIA and Formula One for all the work they have done and continue to do to improve the safety of our cars,” Zhou further said. “The Halo saved me today – and it shows that every step we take to improve our cars brings real, valuable results.”

Several cars were involved in the violent crash. Frenchman Pierre Gasly had touched Russell’s Mercedes in the Alpha Tauri as he attempted to overtake. The Silver Arrows driver then crashed into Zhou’s car, which spun and spun headlong off the track. Besides Russell, Alexander Albon also had to park his damaged car at the side of the track. According to his Williams team, the Thai was taken by helicopter to Coventry Hospital “for precautionary examination”. Earlier, the FIA said Albon was conscious and had not suffered any serious injuries.

Alpine drivers Esteban Ocon and Yuki Tsunoda in the Alpha Tauri were still able to drive their battered race cars back to the pits. The tenth race of the season was interrupted for longer because of the clean-up work.

Late on Sunday evening, it was announced that Albon, who had been hospitalised, had also been released. “We are pleased to confirm that Alex has been given the all-clear and is free to leave Coventry Hospital,” his racing team Williams announced. “Everything is OK,” Albon also tweeted in the evening to a selfie from Coventry Hospital. He was glad that his rival Zhou was also doing well. Now he also has “his eyes already on Austria”.