According to French tennis player Alizé Cornet, there were more suspected cases of corona at the French Open than previously reported.
There had been a “corona epidemic” and a “silence agreement” among players in Paris, the 32-year-old told the sports newspaper “L’Équipe” at the grass court classic in Wimbledon. “We will not test ourselves to avoid getting into trouble.”
There was no compulsory testing or vaccination for the professionals at the Grand Slam tournament in Paris from 22 May to 5 June. Czech defending champion Barbora Krejcikova had said during the tournament that she had tested positive for the corona virus. “Everyone had it in the dressing room and we didn’t say anything,” Cornet said. “When it comes out in the press, with big players, the air burns and that worries me a little bit.”
Before their first-round matches at Wimbledon, Italian co-favourite Matteo Berrettini and Marin Cilic of Croatia had withdrawn because of positive Corona tests. She did not hope that the organisers would now react by introducing a Corona protocol, said the 32-year-old Cornet.
Petkovic assumes she was infected in Paris
Andrea Petkovic had reported on Tuesday that she caught Corona in Paris and subsequently fell ill. “I was already really sick for three days and then flat for five days, I couldn’t have played like that,” said the 34-year-old from Darmstadt. She had an elevated pulse for ten or twelve days.
Petkovic assumes that she contracted the disease in Paris, where masks were no longer mandatory in the dressing room. She initially wore a mask for the first three days. “Then people looked at me stupidly because I was the only one.