The US racing team Andretti is pushing for a place in Formula 1. Now the team has found a strong partner.

The American car manufacturer General Motors wants to enter Formula 1 together with racing driver Michael Andretti’s Andretti Global. The two companies announced this in a digital press conference on Thursday. They did not give an exact entry date. “We will be on the track as soon as it makes sense,” said Michael Andretti, son of racing legend Mario Andretti. They are confident it will be soon, he said.

“Today is the first step in the historic journey that we hope will see General Motors enter Formula One,” GM president Mark Reuss said. A letter of intent to that effect is to be filed with the International Automobile Federation as soon as the process is formally opened. The team would compete under GM’s Cadillac brand, and would be called Andretti Cadillac. This would increase the Formula One grid to eleven racing teams. Andretti would be the second US team alongside Haas.

Only at the beginning of the week, did Fia President Mohammed bin Sulayem emphasise that the federation would look for new teams. It was also another clear signal to the racing teams, which had been less enthusiastic about a possible new entrant and eleventh team. This is because the commercial rights holder Liberty Media would then have to share the proceeds with one more team.

FIA President Mohammed bin Sulayem welcomes the application

Formula 1 is still a Fia racing series, Andretti stressed. FIA boss bin Sulayem tweeted immediately after the press conference ended that he “welcomed” the news.

The clear top candidate for one of the two cockpits that would then be available in Colton Herta. The 22-year-old comes from the USA and is already under contract with Andretti Autosport for the IndyCar Series.